Monday, May 15, 2006

My Take on the 'West Wing' Finale

As the TV networks' seasons end, so ends a couple of my favorite shows forever. The first was 'The West Wing,' which finished its run with the inauguration of a new president. My grade for the finale: a solid B. WARNING: spoilers follow.

The show ended expectedly: President Santos was installed, Bartlet left, sentimental one-liners were said by all, MANY wide shots were seen of some important character soaking in a room of the White House for the last/first time, Leo McGarry was remembered, and *cough* Toby was pardoned *cough*.

You just had to know that Bartlet would pardon Toby. What's a little disconcerting to me is that the writers couldn't find a way to fit Toby INTO the final show. He was nowhere to be found. Even Sam showed up briefly, but not Toby -- unless you count the "Previously on The West Wing" thing at the very beginning.

So in the end, there were no surprises. Josh didn't propose to Donna, which would have been nice. We didn't hear any resounding comments from the new president in his inaugural speech -- in fact, we didn't hear ANY of his inaugural speech. The show just seemed to end with one last deep sigh of combined relief, sentiment, and sadness.

Did I enjoy it? Oh, sure. It was a good show, and a nice ending to the series. I think the producers and writers could have done more, but it ended nicely. I'll have to find something else to do with my Sunday evenings now.

Coming later this week: My thoughts on the end of 'Will and Grace.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home